Lord Dalhousie (1848- 1856)
- Annexation of Punjab (1849)
- Annexation of Lower Bhurma or Pegu .Second Anglo- Burmese war.
- Annexation of Sikkim in 1850.
- In 1853 a new treaty was forced on the Nizam of Hyderabad compelling him to cede
Berar to Company.
- Doctrine of Lapse: Satara 1848, Jaitpur 1849, Sambhalpur 1849, Baghat 1850,
- Udaipur1852, Jhansi1853, Nagpur 1854.
- In 1856 Oudh was annexed on the pretext of misgovernment.
- Bengal was placed under the charge of Lt Governor.
- For newly acquired territories he introduced a system of centralized control
known as Non-regulation system.
- Headquarters of Bengal Artillery was shifted from Calcutta to Meerut and
- gradually shifted to Shimla in 1865.
- A new irregular force was created in Punjab.
- Charles Wood the President of the Board of Control headed the committee
known as Wood’s dispatch in education.
- The first railway line connecting Bombay and Thane was laid in 1853.
Dalhousie was regarded as father of the electric telegraph in
- India.O’Shanghnessy was appointed the superintendent of the telegraph
dept in 1852.Telegraph line became operational between Calcutta to Agra.
- In 1853 recruitment of the Covenanted Civil Service by competitive
- A new post office act was passed in 1854.Possage stamps were issued for
the first time.
- Public works dept was introduced. Ganges canal was introduced.
- IN 1855 Santhal insurrection took place. Abolition of the title of the
nawab of the Carnatic.
- Widow Remarriage Act passed in 1856.